August 5th, 2014
|11:29 am - Five Random Things on 5 August|
1) When I was in the Nearby City's airport last month, I saw a handsome older man wearing a 'shorts suit' (ie. Bermuda shorts and jacket). He looked distinguished, tan, well-groomed, and altogether on point --which I wouldn't have expected. If he had been wearing a seersucker shorts-suit like this Dashing Tweeds outfit, via Grey Fox, I think I would have embarrassed myself. I LOVE seersucker.
2) For years I wore an unstructured, oversized seersucker jacket I bought for $8 in the Los Angeles garment district. I must have given it away at some point -- perhaps when that oversized-jacket thang passed -- but now I want it back. ;)
3) I've been reading lately about 1930s fashion, and so between that interest and my profound love of staircases, this Parisian image has been something I've been dreaming of.
4) Last night Turner Classic Movies showed Summer Stock, a 1950 Gene Kelly & Judy Garland MGM musical which I'd somehow never seen. I can't say that the film as a film was very good, but Kelly's masculine beauty was at its peak, and the movie finale included that iconic performance of Garland singing "Get Happy". It DOES make me happy to see that.
5) Master Danger says Hello, sleepily, from behind the desk.
May you have five cool things today!
Bill used to have a seersucker suit but outgrew it--now that he's getting back in shape, I should see if it's still in the back of his closet.
Suspect your jacket was quite chic, and I'd be so glad to see the big jackets come back (maybe in the back of my closet...)
::Throws pats to Master Danger:: (not quite sure how close I should get...)
Hurrah for seersucker suits! I hope your husband is back in his. :)
Cheers and good thoughts to you, from me and a slightly wary Master Danger.
That Parisian image is wonderful. I love Brassaï.
Hugs and a good evening, Gwynne.
Love Judy Garland.
One cool thing here was that the library just got the DVD of Design for Living.
Your comment inspired me to rewatch my copy. Man, I love that movie. :)
Hugs and a good Wednesday!
Thanks, especially, for #4
; I haven't seen the whole musical since the summer of 1967 or 1968 when one of the big networks showed a different MGM movie misical every Wednesday night for ten weeks. This makes me sorry I missed the TCM showing last night, although it was a tricky evening.
Julia, summer is full of pitfalls
Sorry for tricky evenings and missing Summer Stock -- which apparently is on Youtube.
Hugs and a good day!
Isn't it swellegant? :)
Cheers and a good Wednesday!
|Date:||August 6th, 2014 09:01 am (UTC)|| |
It's much cooler now. Shares it with you both.
Oh, cooler weather! [yearns]
Hugs hugs today, L.
A day late to the party, as usual, but I wanted to say how much I love these posts, L. Gorgeous photo links, thinky things, and a cameo from Danger Boy are all wonderful.
Hugs, and class prep commencing...
Cheers for the class prep, cheers for you!
Oooh, Summer Stock! Is that the one where Gene Kelly does a really cool dance with a piece of paper and the interesting soft shoe noises it makes?
It is indeed that one! :)
[hugs] Happy day to you!
Yay for Judy Garland, and YAY for you, L.
[hugs] Happy Friday!
Mmmmmm, "Summer Stock"...when I was smitten with Gene Kelly and before I realized he almost always played something of a cad...
(When I was 12, I thought cads were cool....)
Gene Kelly DID play a lot of cads! So odd. But man, he was beautiful back then. :)
Cheers and hugs, ALH!