July 23rd, 2015
|03:10 pm - Ouch and Odds & Ends, Post #41|
1) I went to the dentist today, and he poked at my teeth with his sharp little dental instrument of hell.
2) "Oops, there's a little blood," he said at one point. Actually, several points. Poke poke poke.
4) That being said, my teeth are in awesome shape except for the need for one filling (next week), and the bleeding's stopped. So I got that going for me.
5) I am also sleep-deprived. Let us not dwell.
6) So The Bakkhai (or however the hell the Anne Carson adaptation is spelling Euripides' The Bacchae) has its first performance tonight. Bertie Carvel, who's playing Pentheus, just tweeted "EUIO!!" which is, per Wiktionary, an "impassioned cry of rapture" during a bacchanal.
7) To which I say: a) Bless, and b) The More You Know....
8) Here is a BCarvel interview wherein he talks about plays and acting, and a little bit about JS&MN.
9) It breaks my heart that JS&MN "flopped" in the UK, and it also breaks my heart that more folk in North America aren't talking about it. THE SHOW IS AWESOME, WORLD. GET IT TOGETHER.
10) As soon as the show ends in America (which is this Saturday), I'll link two fanvids I found which speak my heart.
10) One last anecdote re JS&MN: I've been reading about Edmond Malone, an 18th-century scholar who hoarded Shakespeare materials so no one else could see them. I found myself involuntarily curling my lip and snarling, "What a Norrell."
11) Btw: I am a Stratfordian4Lyfe, just saying.
12) What else might I talk about? Master Danger began the day cheerfully with a barking assault at the fence, behind which the neighbors' terrier and Chihuahua were insulting him.
13) "Shake it off," I instructed him, but he could not. He's a little rage-monster, is Master Danger
14) I did Pilates lower-body work this morning. Only a slight ouch, passing already.
15) I am off to write in a minute or two.
16) Seriously. Just a minute or two.
17) But I send happy thoughts to those who need 'em;
18) I send ease to those who need it;
19) And I send a moment of wild respite to all.
(P.S. Be careful during the bacchanals, though, all right?)
Happy Friday bacchanals, my friend! EUIO!
Stratfordian? Is anything else possible?
And sorry about the poking dentist, but glad he didn't cause more pain. My dentist seems to know that if he hurts me, his hand is in a great position for me to retaliate...and so far, he's been very careful about that.
Carvel! And how can anyone not like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? I'm having to miss the final episodes because of travel, but will enjoy them when I get back, if lightening storms don't destroy all my scheduled recordings.
Thanks for the link to the interview! I don't think I'm at risk...
Stratfordian? Is anything else possible? I'm reading James Shapiro's Contested Will, which details the history of the most 'popular' anti-Stratfordian theories (and of course makes it clear that WShakespeare is the guy from Stratford indeed). :)
The interview won't spoil you! It offers some lovely food for thought.
Cheers and a fabulous Friday to you!
|Date:||July 23rd, 2015 11:56 pm (UTC)|| |
1-4: Ouch. [Pats L in a comforting "There there" manner]
5: You have my deepest sympathies.
9: It must have been very tricky choosing what bits of JS&MN to cut to keep the whole thing to a manageable length and still retain most of its story and atmosphere. I am not sure how, or even if, they're going to manage everything that's to come in one more episode.
10 the 2nd: I strongly suspect that if I'd been watching by myself I would've been yelling at Norrell long since.
11&12: Master Danger takes his responsibilities as Dog and Alpha Male of the House very seriously.
For the rest, happy writing, happy thoughts back to you, and a good rest of the week.
Thank you, A! And I do understand that one who watches TV with others cannot easily indulge in performative audience beahviors. I just can't help myself. :)
Hugs, art, and joy today!
((Hugs)) for your dental bleeding. I'm glad your teeth are in good shape though. :)
I'm glad too! Thanks go to my parents for good-teeth genes. :)
Hugs hugs! Happy day!
But wait, how is EUIO pronounced? Because to my ear, it would be "EEEW!" which I find HILARIOUS to think of people Valley Girlishly EEWWWing during a bacchanal.
I totally need to go watch JS&MN. I think I've said before that I just could not get going with the book.
I *think* EUIO would be pronounced more like YOU-EE-O. However, when I tried to say it out loud, I freaked out Master Danger. :)
The series of JS&MN has a lot of clothes and interiors and scenery porn, if nothing else!
[hugs] Happy day to you.
Happy Friday! Hope you have a restful weekend :)
I am taking today off from 'work,' so that's already happy!
May your Friday lead to an awesome weekend, T! :)