September 10th, 2016
|06:04 pm - Saturday List, Post #43|
1) I am Officially Over Summer Heat.
2) But the new heat pump certainly gives me more peace of mind, even in humid nightmare days.
3) Three more weeks until I change my closet from summer to "winter," however, damn the weather and full speed ahead.
4) Otherwise, Master Danger has barked himself out for the moment and is somnolent (and blocking my way out of the study, thanks, dude).
5) I've been thinking about Master Danger, and the previous Dog of the House, and before that, my beloved Small Black Dog of Chaos, a pure-bred menace but who was adopted from the local humane society.
6) Because of new bathroom rearranging, I realized that I had 3 old towels previously used for Master Danger's bathtime for which I had no use and no place. (He only needs one towel, to be honest.) Solution: donate them to the shelter from whence I'd adopted SBDoC many, many years ago.
7) And since the donation of three used towels seemed a bit thin, I also bought a 25-pound bag of dog food to give too.
8) The humane society here is in the country, an old, wild-wooded area not far out of town. One drives down a dusty dirt road and into a shabby little compound (which is nonetheless clean and cared-for). A chorus of dogs' barks greet the visitor, even though they're out of sight.
9) It made me profoundly sad to be there, under the trees, listening to unwanted animals call out for home. I bless those who can care for them.
10) I came home this afternoon and gave Master Danger a kiss on his little head. He huffed his annoyance and then licked my hand.
11) To all who need caring, and to all who need a little help, I send good thoughts and comfort.
|Date:||September 10th, 2016 10:34 pm (UTC)|| |
You're good people. That was thoughtful of you, and I'm sure much needed and appreciated.
Here's to cooler weather, soon, please.
By the way, every time I see a corgi now, I think of you.
[hugs for L and a pat for the Dangerous Dog]
Master Danger appreciates that you think of him when you see a Corgi! (He takes everything to be All About Him.) :)
Hugs, and cooler weather for all who need it!
I love your dog posts. I like your pets' names. Max needs something unusual - he's loving and adorable, but will also bite me at the drop of a hat. He's a changeable chap.
Max sounds like an Excitable Boy! :)
Cheers and hugs for your day.
Excitable Boy is a perfect name for him! It'll be his new LJ name. Thanks!
|Date:||September 11th, 2016 12:22 am (UTC)|| |
I am also officially over summer heat. (We're supposed to have some nice cool weather this week, but just briefly...)
Yes, we had three mornings of almost-fall weather this past week and I wanted to sing and dance and celebrate every moment of Not-Hell Weather there was. I hope you have lots of the best cool weather to celebrate!
It is a very sad thing to go to the animal shelters. And sadder to think of the animals who aren't even that lucky. It's so good that you donated. I wish they'd set up a monthly donation plan for one in my city--I tend to forget when I don't go by there.
Hope the cool breezes come your way soon!
I have friends who volunteer at local rescues, and they are the most amazing people.
Hugs and happy upcoming travels to you!
You reminded me of adopting my elderly cat when she was a young thing of 2 or 3 years. My previous cat had just expired of feline leukemia and there was a need to replace her. My instructions were to find the most pitiful cat at the Humane Society...there were older cats just as sad, but miss Lucy was curled up in the sand box with her back to the room having given up on life. She was the same half-size calico as her predecessor but with black and orange coloring insteadof pink and gray and when it turned out they had the same name as well, it was clear she had to come home and find hiding places in my house.
She has mellowed in the ensuing 16 years, but these days she's a demanding little old lady, currently sitting on the arm of my chair and patting the iPad keyboard to get more attention. I hear and obey!
Hugs to you and yours!
What a lovely story, and well done to Miss Lucy for finding you! It was clearly Meant.
It's kind of you to donate to the shelter. Yes, it's unbearably sad to listen to them but you can only take so many home and Master Danger is a handful, albeit a lovable one.
Master Danger couldn't be more clearly an only dog. ;)
[hugs hugs] Happy Wednesday!