September 22nd, 2009
|07:14 pm - Ten on Tuesday|
1) On my morning walk/run today, drowning in subtropical steam, I jogged down one of my favorite side-streets. From an old white-sided house in the middle of the block, from the screened-in porch hidden behind a rain tree, came a shrill "Hey baby! Hey baby!" parrot-cry.
It didn't make me feel any better.
2)What would make me feel better: Andre Braugher murmuring intensely to me every day in a private session.
3) Yes, I saw House last night, which explains 2). And Hugh Laurie is remarkable.
4) "Be Right Back," the sign on the downtown shop read this afternoon. I stood on the main street, trying to look past the glass to the art inside, continually faced with my own reflection. The sign on the downtown shop lied.
5) Toast is a Great Good.
6) I've been dipping into Peter Ackroyd's book about the Thames lately, and now I keep noticing water -- a water feature here, a fountain there; someone rinsing off their car at 7:30 in the morning; a water-bird at the side of the stormwater pond, splashing moodily at an insect. Sadly, none of these is the Thames.
7) The Dog of the House has caught two lizards in the past few days, and is proud of herself, and perhaps a little nauseated.
8) Twinkly-eyed men are a Great Good, so long as the twinkle is not menacing. (Can a twinkle menace? Discuss.)
9) No story to go with it, but I have been thinking about Jessa and Tim from "The Branch," eating enchiladas in her kitchen. The cool is rushing in because she keeps the windows open, but she doesn't feel it. She makes her enchiladas spicy, true; the warmth comes, however, from Tim's watching her with yellow-gold eyes.
10) I am thinking of magic words. I can't write them down, however, lest the magic be lost.
May you have a list of good things as you move through the week!
|Date:||September 22nd, 2009 11:37 pm (UTC)|| |
Lizards crunch! :-)
The Dog of the House replies:
And soon, Gwynne, the season will change and there won't be any lizards. One must crunch while one can!
[hugs and good Tuesday-evening thoughts]
Hurrah! for twinkly eyed men. [squeeze]
The world needs more of 'em! :-)
[hugs and good thoughts for the start of your spring]
Mmmmm. More Jessica and Tim.
You are a kind, kind person. :-)
Happy Wednesday! (Is it Wednesday? Apparently so.)
|Date:||September 23rd, 2009 09:21 am (UTC)|| |
Makes you toast dripping with yummy butter for brekkie.
I hope today is better.
Heee, I will enjoy this virtual toast because I actually had organic oatmeal (and blueberries) for breakfast. :-)
Joy and good stuff to you on this Wednesday, L! Thinking of London!
Gorgeous, melancholy post, L. :hugs; autumn is here, finally. It only takes time.
In my head I am whining about it being too HOT, why is it so HOT... you can probably hear it over on the coast. ;-)
Hugs and good thoughts for a smooth transition into autumn for you and yours, F!
I like your list, even a day late.
I hope Wednesday brings more good things.
Joy and good things (and attractive pictures of Alex) to you, W_P! :-))
"Sadly, none of these is the Thames."
But you'll be there soon, right?
and my 1-10 today: rainkatt arrives this afternoon! Much squeeing and yarn fondling and bubbly will be enjoyed.
Hurrah hurrah for you and Rainkatt getting to visit! Here, let me top off your Champagne... ;-)
Good thoughts to both of you, and a happy visit. :-)
Thanks! We're finishing off a bottle of Gloria Ferrar Blanc de Noir and toasting in your honor!
(and knitting and spinning, but only easy stuff you can do while under the influence!)
I haven't looked at the weather, but it's beautifully cool here now, so perhaps it will cool there in a day or so?
Toast is a very good thing.
I think a twinkle can menace, at least on TV. If I saw something like that in real life, I'd run for the hills.
Hurrah for coolness in your steamy part of the woods! :-) Alas, here it's not supposed to cool off until maybe Tuesday. Maybe.
[shares toast with good jam]
And heeee, yes, I should have specified the difference between twinkling in RL and twinkling on a screen!
[hugs and Thursday joys]
Very much agreed with you about toast.
I just had two pieces, in fact! [beams]
Happy almost-Friday, too. :-))