January 11th, 2012
|08:48 am - Days of (More) Joy|
It is January, and we need More Joy.
I do believe the originator of the tradition, sdwolfpup, has designated tomorrow as More Joy Day proper -- but I have a few things planned, and it will take more than tomorrow to finish them. So...
More Joy Day #1: Unexpected Joys, requested by mobile_alh
And so, 14 Joys, some unexpected, some sought for --
1) Hearing an old AM radio favorite in an unexpected place, like Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds in the grocery store, or "Brandy You're a Fine Girl" wafting out of a gas station, melody and the scents of greasy food and motor oil and the sound of the bell on the door, a perfect half-moment in a day.
2) Yesterday, in a winter-blue sky, a contrail shaped like a quill pen.
3) A checkbook that balances. (Do other people still use checkbooks, or is it all online accounting now?)
4) A butterscotch hard candy in a sea of peppermint. Vice versa, too.
5) Hopping up and down when one should be too old and dignified to do so.
6) A purged and organized drawer.
7) In this subtropical season of motorcycles, yesterday a man in bright yellow on a bright yellow lowriding cycle. He and the bike had silver spikes running from helmet to tailpipe, all glinting in the sun, and in sum he looked like some exotic dinosaur-human creature roaring down the street.
8) The pop and hiss of an opened Diet Coke (with lime).
9) The pop and hiss of a new-lit candleflame.
10) Random quotations of delight, as in this from The Pickwick Papers (which I'm reading off and on): He (Mr Pickwick) would not deny that he was influenced by human passions and human feelings (cheers)-- possibly by human weaknesses (loud cries of 'No'); but this he would say, that if ever the fire of self-importance broke out in his bosom, the desire to benefit the human race in preference effectively quenched it. The praise of mankind was his swing; philanthropy was his insurance office.
11) "I am 32 Flavors, and then some."
12) The swing of a lean man's loose overcoat as he takes the first leaping step up a staircase.
13) The delicacy of a prima ballerina's hands as she swims through the air; the leap of a danseur noble as if to crest the surface between here and too-high.
14) Taking a corner just a shade too fast, feeling the sway of car and body, feeling the road.
What's your joy today? I hope there are far more than 14! Cheers, and more joy soonest.
|Date:||January 11th, 2012 02:02 pm (UTC)|| |
There is something satisfying about an organized drawer, or a checkbook that balances on the first try, or even the feeling of relief when you finally do get it to balance.
Yes, I'm the sort who balances the checkbook back to the ATM slip, every single time... I balance Aged Mum's once a month too, but that isn't as much fun because she doesn't keep the balances up, and it's messy, but still, it's a good feeling when it's done. What can I say, I've always loved crunching numbers.
One morning last week, I went out to get the paper, just before dawn, and there was a contrail going east which was lighting up and changing colors as the sun rose. Glorious, it was.
And one afternoon, walking to the market with the Elder Daughter, we observed a hummingbird zipping around in a swarm of gnats. It was catching and eating them, a fascinating sight.
I'll try to look for more joy today, thanks for reminding me.
Oh, your contrail and your hummingbird are perfect inclusions!
More joy to you today, A.
|Date:||January 11th, 2012 02:42 pm (UTC)|| |
Shares a fine pot of tea with you:)
I will have tea this afternoon, and I'll virtually share it with you! :-))
Hugs and more joy, L!
Oh yes...hearing old favorites in unexpected places always makes me happy.
I don't reconcile my bank statements unless something dodgy happened and even then I just check to see if it wasn't double charged. But I do love it when all the bills are payed and money set aside for groceries etc and there's STILL some left-over. I usually spend it on wine...a joy in itself :)
Hurrah for wine with the leftover money! You are wise, T. :-)
More joy to you today!
I *love* Dickens for Random Quotations of Delight!
And you WILL make me spend time on YT connections to connections, won't you? what a gorgeous cover!
::looks up alana davis::
I know the cover of that song better than the Ani DeFranco original, to be honest. I'm so glad it pleased you, H_P!
Hugs hugs, and Dickens, and More Joy to you today!
Such perfect details--how much you notice, and how clearly you see things! Love the "swing of a lean man's loose overcoat" and the AM radio.
Thank you, Mamcu, what a kind thing to say!
Cheers and More Joy to you today! :-)
An excellent list! (I still use a checkbook.)
My joy of today is (of course) the new GH casting news!
Hurrah on both counts. :-))
Cheers and More Joy (now with added Robert Scorpio). [hugs]
Thank you, F! Cheers and More Joy today to you, despite the season. ;-)
Oh, lovely, lovely, lovely. Thank you for the gift of shared joys.
Yesterday and today I had the fun of learning new systems at B's warehouse, which will become dull in time, but pulling orders and doing inventory when it isn't really my job is rather a treat!
Outside my window the midafternoon, sun is unseasonably bright on the dried red leaves of the Japanese Maple. I suppose if we are not to have winter this year, it's a blessing to have the skies of Indian summer...
Hurrah for bright sun on red and for treats (even if doing inventory isn't everyone's idea of a treat...)!
Hurrah for you, ALH, and More Joy!